Enroll Now!
Student Support Services » Homeless and Foster Education

Homeless and Foster Education

McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Assistance Act

The McKinney-Vento Homeless Program helps homeless children have equal access to a free public education as provided to all of the other children in the District. A child is considered homeless if they do have a regular adequate residence. This means any students living in shelters, in substandard housing, doubled up with friends or relatives because they have no other place to go and cannot afford a home. The other living arrangements included are single room hotels, cars, parks, public places, and transitional affidavit. 
Homeless Children are guaranteed enrollment in school by The Federal McKinney-Vento Act and California State law if you live:
In a shelter (family, domestic violence, or youth shelter or transitional living program)
In a motel, hotel or weekly rate housing
In a house or apartment with more than one family because of economic hardship or loss
In an abandoned building, in a car, at a campground, or on the street
In temporary foster care or with an adult who is not your parent or guardian
In substandard housing (without electricity, water, or heat)
With friends or family because you are a runaway or an unaccompanied youth
To enroll in or attend school if you live under any of these conditions, you do NOT need to provide: 
  • Proof of residency
  • Immunization records or tuberculosis skin-test results
  • School records
  • Legal Guardianship papers
Know Your Rights
Your child(ren) may have the right to:
  • Immediate enrollment in the school they last attended (school of origin) or the local school where you are currently staying, even if you do not have all the required documents at the time or enrollment.
  • Continue to attend their school of origin, if requested by you and it is in the best interest.
  • Receive transportation to and from their school of origin, the same special programs and services, if needed, as provided to all other children, including free meals and Title I. 
  • Receive the full protections and services provided under all federal and state laws relating to homeless children, youth and their families.
Contact the district liaison to resolve any disputes that arise during the enrollment process. For questions about enrolling in school or for assistance with school enrollment, contact your local School District Liaison for the homeless. 

Foster Youth

Who is a Foster Youth?
Foster Youth are children with an open child dependency court case who are placed by and for whom the state agency has placement and care responsibility. This includes, but is not limited to, placements in foster family homes, foster homes of relatives, group homes, emergency shelters, residential facilities, child care institutions, and pre-adoptive homes. 
All children in foster care have a county caseworker. In Los Angeles County, the agency is the Department of Children and Family Services (DCFS). Other counties have different agency names, but provide the same services.